9,008 words and counting after one official week on this thing. About 90% of that is the story I’ve written from the beginning, while the other 10% is made up of lines of dialogue for future events in the story. It’s the same technique I used in 2008′s when I got stuck trying to think of stuff to write: when in doubt, skip ahead. It’s really the only “trick” I’ve employed to boost my word count. I’m still about 3,000 words off the pace, but I’m in a bit better shape than I was over the weekend.
Modern Warfare 3 and Skyrim come out this week, so I feel kinda bad for any NaNo participants who are big fans of the Call of Duty or Elder Scrolls series, as they’re missing out on two of the biggest games of the year. I’m not in either camp, and I’m relatively patient when it comes to new game releases, but it’s hard sacrificing game time when something that big comes along.