Analogue: A Hate Story
a visual novel designed by Christine Love, released in 2012
Platforms: PC and Mac
Steam Achievement Guide
version 1.03 – 9/13/2012
Update 1/20/2013 – Now also available as a Steam guide!
v1.03 – 9/13/2012 – Updated “TsunderAI” and “Rainbow Connection” as per a tip from Adam Heinicke on the P1D Facebook page.
v1.02 – 7/14/2012 – Reverted correction to “Abusive Jerk”, as my initial hunch was confirmed by Steam forum user BlackPhoenix969, and explained in more detail below.
v1.01 – 7/12/2012 – Added an update to “2 Girls, 1 Core”, as it is possible to get Ending 5 after completing the reactor sequence. I ought to have known that the title of the achievement provided a clue. Also made a correction to “Abusive Jerk”. Thanks to Mizu and Ratstail91 for the tips!
v1.0 – 6/29/2012 – Initial release.
Hack the Mugunghwa
Description: Successfully gain admin access to a restricted UKSPA computer system.
How to Do It: Get the admin password from *Hyun-ae after reading some of the logs she gives you. Once you learn it, go to the terminal and type “su hyunae”, which opens up a new set of options.
See you next mission!
Description: Complete your task by downloading the Mugunghwa’s log files.
How to Do It: In order to download the log files, you must first get admin access from *Hyun-ae (see “Hack the Mugunghwa”). Then, at any point other than the reactor meltdown sequence, open the terminal and type “download”. If there are no AIs attached to your download file, this will also trigger Ending 3 (see “Forever Alone”).
Maid Her Do It
Description: Play with *Hyun-ae instead of doing your job.
How to Do It: After gaining admin access, you will be able to change *Hyun-ae’s costume by typing “change_outfit” in the terminal. To get this achievement, you have to change into all of *Hyun-ae’s different costumes – maid, detective, scientist, and hanbok at least once.
Description: Finish *Mute’s route as both a man and a woman.
How to Do It: Self-explanatory. When you first meet *Mute, she will ask you if you are male or female. Select either option, and then continue the game normally, keeping her as your active AI during the reactor sequence. Repeat with the opposite gender.
Description: Survive near-certain death with your keyboard wizardry!
How to Do It: After *Mute gives you a set of questions to ask *Hyun-ae regarding her involvement in the mass murder of the Mugunghwa crew, the screen will begin to build static after you attempt to ask two of these questions. After the third question, *Hyun-ae (or *Mute, if you decide to switch to her after interrogating *Hyun-ae) will interrupt you and tell you that the ship’s reactor is about to go critical. You will then have 20 minutes to shut it down to save yourself and one of the AIs (i.e. if you are currently talking to *Hyun-ae, you will not be able to talk to *Mute again after this sequence, and vice-versa).
- Once asked, you can attempt to shut down the reactor directly by typing “reactor disable” in the terminal. The computer will warn you that the computer’s power grid is overloaded, and shutting down the reactor in this state will permanently terminate your connection.
- Talk to your AI of choice again, and she will tell you that you need to find a way to bring the power down to a manageable level before shutting down the reactor.
- If you haven’t done so already, type “pss switch_battery” to switch from the primary battery (which only has 0.1% power left) to the secondary battery (which has 20% power left), then type “pss enable” to enable the battery.
- Shut down as many subsystems as possible to bring the total power output to 20% or less by typing “power_control disable [subsystem]“. To save yourself some time, you can enter multiple subsystems to shut down after the “disable” command. The following subsystems need to be disabled to bring the power level down: docking, gravity, rail, sensors, waste, and all of the unused Cores (you can attempt to copy the other AI to the active core to save her from death, which is necessary if you want to get ending 5 after the sequence is over – see note below).
- With the power at close to 20%, you should be able to safely disable the reactor.
- Talk to the AI again. There’s still one more problem…the internal reactor temperature is critical, and the AI is suffering from heat damage, and will die unless you do something quickly. (If *Mute is your active AI, talk to her again and she will tell you the solution: enable life support to pump in air around the reactor, then disable the bulkheads to release all of the heated air into space.)
- Go back to the terminal and type “power_control enable life_support”, then “power_control disable bulkheads”, in that order. (Disabling the bulkheads without enabling life support will have no effect.) If done correctly, this will release all of the excess heat into space, cooling down the reactor and averting a meltdown.
Description: Treat *Hyun-ae with the sort of respect she’s used to.
How to Do It: (CORRECTION 7/14/2012, thanks to BlackPhoenix969 on the Steam forums) This one is very easy to do. Whenever *Hyun-ae asks you a question, be as mean to her as possible. Tell her you don’t care what she has to say, that you like the society described because women aren’t worth a thing, her opinions are stupid and that the Pale Bride was overly dramatic. She’ll eventually call you an idiot and say that you’re no different than the people on the ship from before, and terminate your connection (basically a “Game Over”).
Description: Treat *Mute in a manner she considers unbecoming of a woman.
How to Do It: When you show *Mute a message log from Block 2 (Oh So-jin’s secret correspondence to the prostitute Hana), she will tell you how disgusted she is about So-jin and Hana (both women) having an affair, and will ask whether or not you share her opinion. If you are playing as a woman, and say “I find it kinda hot” to the first question instead of “I find it disgusting”, *Mute will get flustered and ask if you’re trying to hit on her. Say “yes” to both of the questions that follow, and she will be freaked out/disgusted at your behavior.
Deep Space Detective
Description: Download every single log file.
How to Do It: Self-explanatory. Does not have to be done over the course of a single playthrough.
Failure to Prioritize
Description: Make a terrible mistake during the reactor sequence.
How to Do It: Type in “download” at the terminal during the reactor shutdown sequence. This will trigger the “Bad Priorities ending” (since while you only have 20 minutes to stop the reactor from exploding, downloading the log files from the ship takes a whopping three days, and the reactor explosion will most certainly kill you before you even get a chance to download one file).
Description: “It’s not you, *Hyun-ae. it’s me.”
How to Do It: Complete Ending 1. When you reach the end of *Hyun-ae’s route, she will ask you if you think things will work out for you and her as a couple. If you say “no”, but agree to her request to take her with you anyway, she will decompile herself and be included in your log file once you’re ready to download the log files.
Description: You’re the first person she’s seen in centuries, but it must be true love~
How to Do It: Complete Ending 2. Take the same steps to get Ending 1, but say “yes” after *Hyun-ae tells you that she loves you.
Description: Abandon the Mugunghwa AIs to their fates.
How to Do It: Complete Ending 3. This is the most common of the “normal/good endings”, triggered by downloading the log files before completing either *Hyun-ae or *Mute’s routes.
Description: Engage in an act of unlawful kidnapping.
How to Do It: Complete Ending 4. When you reach the end of *Mute’s route, she will decompile herself to your log file if she likes you enough, but will specifically tell you not to take her with you when you download the log files. Get this ending by including her in your download anyway.
2 Girls, 1 Core
Description: Do the impossible by unlocking the harem ending.
How to Do It: Complete Ending 5. This one is tricky, and requires you to utilize the “Message ID Search” feature on the AI interface, and (obviously) have both AIs available, if not necessarily active.
With *Mute as your active AI, type 6-EUY22 (“I’ll kill them all!”) in the search bar and show the message to her. After that, search for message 7-EUX25 (“Forever silenced”) and show that message to her. Once done, *Mute will contact *Hyun-ae, and the two AIs will ask you to take them with you when you go on to complete your mission. Once you are taken to the terminal, download the log file with both AIs attached to it to unlock this ending.
(UPDATE 7/12/2012, thanks to Ratstail91) It’s possible to get this achievement after the reactor meltdown sequence, but you need to make sure *Mute can still talk to *Hyun-ae. Normally, you can only keep one core active once the meltdown starts, but if you use the “copy” function to move *Hyun-ae from Core 2 to Core 1, her data will be retained, but because she now occupies the same space as *Mute, you can’t switch to her. Once *Hyun-ae’s data is copied over, continue with the reactor shutdown sequence as normal, and show *Mute the two messages described above to get the ending.